Jaylan Ballou verbally commits

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but is this confirmed anywhere?  Not showing up on any of the usual websites, nor does it show an offer from UNLV on their offer lists.  There is a point guard out of Memphis named Jaylen Fisher (played for Team Thad) who was committed to UNLV but has subsequently decommitted.  Hope it is true but strange he hasn't posted it on his Twitter (most kids instantly tweet any offers, and certainly if they commit).  Just trying to see if this is accurate.  

UNLV going thru some changes right now.  Menzies (sp?) from New Mexico State just took over after the previous coach held the position for about a week before he bolted to Texas Tech. Many of their players from this season have left from UNLV and transferred. It could turn out to be a good opportunity for Jaylan.  I think his status right now is a "preferred walk-on." 

2 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

UNLV going thru some changes right now.  Menzies (sp?) from New Mexico State just took over after the previous coach held the position for about a week before he bolted to Texas Tech. Many of their players from this season have left from UNLV and transferred. It could turn out to be a good opportunity for Jaylan.  I think his status right now is a "preferred walk-on." 

Walk on what?

12 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

I see.  Thanks for the info.  Makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Gee Davis said:

The hating makes no sense tho

I don't think many are hating.  Most all of us hope the kid is just as successful at the next level as he was in HS.  And it seems like the move worked out very well for him - couldn't be happier for him that it did. 

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

I don't think many are hating.  Most all of us hope the kid is just as successful at the next level as he was in HS.  And it seems like the move worked out very well for him - couldn't be happier for him that it did. 

Speak for urself...this is my second post concerning him...the first one was full of hate...not sure how calling a commitment a walk on isn't hating...but hey...

1 hour ago, Gee Davis said:

Speak for urself...this is my second post concerning him...the first one was full of hate...not sure how calling a commitment a walk on isn't hating...but hey...

Maybe, but I don't think BlueDove is hating on anyone.  He was trying to answer my question and it made sense.  Nevertheless, hoping Jaylan finds a world of success with the Running Rebs.  

3 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

By the way, being a preferred walk on at a traditional powerhouse like UNLV is an accomplishment in itself, not a slam by any means. 

Let me show u how this works...when someone says on a post about a commitment...that the kid is a walk on...it's hating...u can put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig

7 hours ago, Gee Davis said:

Let me show u how this works...when someone says on a post about a commitment...that the kid is a walk on...it's hating...u can put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig

Really??

I see no hate in BlueDove's post. Just clarifying matters.

So is he going to be on scholarship or a preferred walk on? Even as a preferred walk on, with a coaching change, there are usually kids that transfer and free up a scholarship for the coming year. Zhori Bosha did this at Lamar.  It's nothing wrong with it, it's going to be a great opportunity for him either way.  

2 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

So is he going to be on scholarship or a preferred walk on? Even as a preferred walk on, with a coaching change, there are usually kids that transfer and free up a scholarship for the coming year. Zhori Bosha did this at Lamar.  It's nothing wrong with it, it's going to be a great opportunity for him either way.  

Acording to AggiesAreWe...he said BlueDove3 was "clarifying" that he's a walk on...so we'll go with that...he wouldn't "clarify" it without facts

4 minutes ago, Gee Davis said:

Acording to AggiesAreWe...he said BlueDove3 was "clarifying" that he's a walk on...so we'll go with that...he wouldn't "clarify" it without facts

Many times coaches offer preferred walk on status because particularly in Division I, schools are allowed no more than 5 signees in a year, and no more than 8 in any 2 year span. This ties coaches hands, because even if a kid signs and leaves, they lose that scholarship for that year, even if there is roster space available. Usually at this time of year, D-1 coaches are DONE recruiting for the coming school year. And there are usually no Division 1 commitments this late for the coming year. Only time D1 coaches wait this late is for a phenom waiting on a test score or to graduate from JUCO. It's just odd timing for a commitment, that's all.

3 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Many times coaches offer preferred walk on status because particularly in Division I, schools are allowed no more than 5 signees in a year, and no more than 8 in any 2 year span. This ties coaches hands, because even if a kid signs and leaves, they lose that scholarship for that year, even if there is roster space available. Usually at this time of year, D-1 coaches are DONE recruiting for the coming school year. And there are usually no Division 1 commitments this late for the coming year. Only time D1 coaches wait this late is for a phenom waiting on a test score or to graduate from JUCO. It's just odd timing for a commitment, that's all.

I repeat...