Judges were terrible at both Sweeny and Anahuac for the Girls & Boys Regional Powerlifting Meets.  Specifically one judge at both meets.  She was responsible for 1/3 of the 26 bomb outs at the boys meet in Anahuac.  I understand that powerlifting is an opinion based competition, but when you have half the kids not even making it through squat something has to be changed.  There wasn't enough tissues for the tears at the Girls meet because half of the field was wiped out from the judges before squat was over.  #powerliftingisadyingcompetetion #powerliftingisnotasport

I agree with you 1000%. Some girls had to squat lower than others too. A squat that got 3 white lights from one school would be 2-3 red lights for another school at the same depth. I think I know which judge you are referring to.....not sure she gave more than 3 white lights during the entire squat (both flights). Without getting personal, there is a common thread (person) between all the judges. Overall, the boys judging was immensely better, aside from said judge. I feel like with the boys, the judges are wanting to see some big numbers and judge the entirety of the lift. With the girls, if there is a possible pinkie toe flinch on a huge squat that is way below parallel, it's a no lift. Certain individuals are sucking all the energy and excitement out of an ever-shrinking competition, especially with the girls. One of the coaches I talked to said it best "the way they are calling this meet makes these girls not even want to lift anymore".

• 10 months later...

The PL Judges at Sweeny last year were the same ones used at Palacios for the past several years . They are normally very bad and do not read the rule book as written. They call a toe moving inside the shoe which is not the way the rule is written. I am a certified PL judge now and work with a group that judge in the Golden Triangle area and we try to call by the book . We start this early so lifters know what to expect at regionals or state . I had a daughter that bombed twice in Palacios because of bad judging and this is why I started so hopefully it will not happen on my platform.