Humble

Kingwood Park

New Caney

Porter

Splendora

I'd say:

1) Crosby; 2) Dayton

3-4) BH, NC, Hum or KP

First, I don't think Crosby over Dayton is a foregone conclusion. I think Dayton will be good. Crosby is interesting. Although Code Red looses a lot of lineman and has question marks on defense there will be 6-7 FBS players on the field for the Coogs. If the 2 WRs pick up the offers I'm expecting there will be D1 players at every offensive skill position. If the Coogs gel and some young kids step up on the front I don't see a district opponent beating them. 

I do see Dayton as the easy #2 and the only significant threat to Crosby. 

After that I have BH, NC, KP and Humble in a fight for the 3 & 4 spot but none of them challenging Crosby & Dayton at the top of the heap  

1. Crosby - 22-2 the last three years in district play. Only two losses have come to schools that are now 6A. Those two losses also happen to be Crosby's only two regular season losses the last three seasons.

2. Kingwood Park - Nasty on the underclass levels last year. Will be the second year in coach Maple's system. Could be a dangerous squad beyond district if they can figure out a way to stop people.

3. Dayton - I'm not very high on the Nations hire but that's just IMO. For the third year in a row Dayton will have to replace almost all of their offensive production. They have some studs coming up but very little depth, if the freshman qb from last year is forced to start on varsity they could be in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

4. Porter - Just hired KP's old coach, Jim Holley. Porter has the same level of athletes and similar enrollment to KP. Holley's conservative, power running and defensive scheme could have Porter as one of the district's toughest outs by the end of the season.

5. Barbers Hill - All new everything . . . except athletes. I think they'll be improved but I think they'll find themselves in a lot of shootouts which they probably won't be equipped to handle yet. I think switching to the spread is a double edged sword for BH, if they make any noise this year it'll be due to a weak district and some excellent coaching moves.

6. Humble - I think their athletes alone win them four games, but their coaches cancel it out by losing them four games. Very frustrating to watch a team with the plethora of athletes Humble has not be able to get it together. Looks like for the third straight year it'll be "Terio left, Terio right".

7. New Caney - Now that all but one of their free agents graduated, Marte Allison, I expect them to fall back to being the New Caney of old. I put New Caney down here because I think last year was due more to the influx of transfers rather than it being the genesis of a solid program.

8/9. Caney Creek/Splendora - I don't expect either team to win more than one district game and that will come against each other. Caney Creek will be the largest school in 21-5A while Splendora will be the smallest by nearly 500 kids. 21-5A may need a refresher in mercy rules with these two team coming off an 0-13 combined record in district play last year, Caney Creek went winless last year at 0-10.    

Dayt will be real good,have not had a 1,000+ yd returning rb in a very long time,the kid (14.2) said was the best Dayt qb to walk the halls=back for sr year along w/more than a dbl handful of new kids coming in to the program.Those that follow Bronco football know Offense has not been the PROBLEM.It took everything code red had to win the last cpl games smh Dayt lost almost their entire offensive production lol.I can tell you the gene' pool is still here

2 hours ago, liltex said:

Dayt will be real good,have not had a 1,000+ yd returning rb in a very long time,the kid (14.2) said was the best Dayt qb to walk the halls=back for sr year along w/more than a dbl handful of new kids coming in to the program.Those that follow Bronco football know Offense has not been the PROBLEM.It took everything code red had to win the last cpl games smh Dayt lost almost their entire offensive production lol.I can tell you the gene' pool is still here

I actually think the reason the games have been close with Crosby is because of the defense, nobody has been calling defenses against Crosby longer than Hancock. Dayton probably has 7 takeaways from Crosby over the last three games, including a pick 6. I think the overall problem with Dayton's defense against other teams is the lack of depth and having to play kids both ways which eventually wears them down on this level. Even their young studs played heavy minutes both ways on the freshman team.

33 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I actually think the reason the games have been close with Crosby is because of the defense, nobody has been calling defenses against Crosby longer than Hancock. Dayton probably has 7 takeaways from Crosby over the last three games, including a pick 6. I think the overall problem with Dayton's defense against other teams is the lack of depth and having to play kids both ways which eventually wears them down on this level. Even their young studs played heavy minutes both ways on the freshman team.

You don't say. I was under the impression only the stud starters got to "touch the field" haha

24 minutes ago, Not A Guru said:

You don't say. I was under the impression only the stud starters got to "touch the field" haha

At Dayton only the stud starters do get to touch the field. They had about 30 kids on the team and played about 20. The depth I'm taking about isn't from backups, it's the drop-off from your best defensive player or offensive player to your worst. Cedar Park doesn't have a bunch of big time studs for 5A, but their drop-off from 1-11 on both sides of the ball is minimal even when compared to teams with more sought after individual talent. With Dayton, as well as other teams from around here, that difference could be drastic. That's the depth I'm speaking of, not how good the backup center is.   

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

At Dayton only the stud starters do get to touch the field. They had about 30 kids on the team and played about 20. The depth I'm taking about isn't from backups, it's the drop-off from your best defensive player or offensive player to your worst. Cedar Park doesn't have a bunch of big time studs for 5A, but their drop-off from 1-11 on both sides of the ball is minimal even when compared to teams with more sought after individual talent. With Dayton, as well as other teams from around here, that difference could be drastic. That's the depth I'm speaking of, not how good the backup center is.   

Well how did that work out for Shaq Long smh

11 hours ago, liltex said:

Well how did that work out for Shaq Long smh

As a Crosby fan we were over there hoping y'all would put Long in the game. I didn't see the Ned game where he went off but I did see Humble, KP, New Caney and us. It was the consensus from our side that Hancock was the better qb and ran the team more efficiently. From what I saw Dayton was extremely predictable with Long back there. Other than Timmy Ware's performance against Crosby, I thought Hancock's games against New Caney and PNG were the best from one of our district qbs I saw all year. Like I said, I never saw the Ned game with Shaq though. Hancock's only issue I saw was not being able to take the pounding of a 5A season, that kid probably would've been all-state at a lower level though.   

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

As a Crosby fan we were over there hoping y'all would put Long in the game. I didn't see the Ned game where he went off but I did see Humble, KP, New Caney and us. It was the consensus from our side that Hancock was the better qb and ran the team more efficiently. From what I saw Dayton was extremely predictable with Long back there. Other than Timmy Ware's performance against Crosby, I thought Hancock's games against New Caney and PNG were the best from one of our district qbs I saw all year. Like I said, I never saw the Ned game with Shaq though. Hancock's only issue I saw was not being able to take the pounding of a 5A season, that kid probably would've been all-state at a lower level though.   

Lack of experience but not a doubt in my mind that Long was the deserving starter last season. The old regime recognized that and admitted that was the downfall of last years Broncos and I totally agree. Those mistakes won't be made in my opinion going forward.

2015 S.Long 24/35 passes=68.57% 311 yds 4 tds 0 ints rushing=72=595=8.26 per=6 tds(career@Dayt=never lost 1 game as a starting qb) Hancock % 66.28 pass *rush 73=357 yds=4.89 per=5 tds & I won't even look @punting avg=prolly worst I've seen wearing purple/wh.1 huge gm vs NC=rolling out freezing lb's & db's left wr's wide arse open=thinking qb run(smh Herrera tricks lol)I know where that came from.Key=past 3 seasons =Dayt ability to develop a starting qb w/pre varsity experience #2 left us w/o a exp varsity qb for 2016 season=what 20 yr playoff program does that kind of crap?Funny now that Hudl accts are unlocked Dayt kids getting college offers smh.Amazing the kids@Dayt now ready for football to start=2017 year Dayt will field 35 seniors=13 more than I ever remember.

4 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

Lack of experience but not a doubt in my mind that Long was the deserving starter last season. The old regime recognized that and admitted that was the downfall of last years Broncos and I totally agree. Those mistakes won't be made in my opinion going forward.

I thought the same thing following the Ned/Dayton game while I was watching us play Angleton. Then I actually saw them play and my opinion changed. I was fully in the "Daddy Ball" camp but in person I thought Hancock was a much more accurate passer and more efficient decision maker. It's obvious Long was the better athlete though. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new staff handles the qb position.   

17 minutes ago, Lightning/Eagle said:

No he wouldn't, because PNG most likely wouldn't make the playoffs if Dayton was in 22-5A. He doesn't really know who has what coming back over here, probably just an assumption off having a new coaching staff. A staff where the icon of their program passed over the current head coach to give it to the guy they just basically fired. I would say the chances are twice as good that Dayton finishes fourth versus first.

Looks like Crosby may have improved their chances at repeating for the district crown. What was already going to be a good secondary just added what may end up being our best pure cover guy, which say a lot with guys like Tay'lor Perry on the team. Kid was solid last year and has been starting at SA Roosevelt since he was a sophomore, kid might blow up once Mann fixes his film.

Johnnie Harper -

This is the hidden content, please

On 2/25/2016 at 2:55 PM, Lightning/Eagle said:
On 2/29/2016 at 1:36 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Looks like Crosby may have improved their chances at repeating for the district crown. What was already going to be a good secondary just added what may end up being our best pure cover guy, which say a lot with guys like Tay'lor Perry on the team. Kid was solid last year and has been starting at SA Roosevelt since he was a sophomore, kid might blow up once Mann fixes his film.

Johnnie Harper -

This is the hidden content, please

And Dayt has passed for a avg 257 yds & 1 int vs Crosby the past 3 yrs w/o a 1st team all-dist qb smh:)

20 hours ago, liltex said:

Well, that's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is Dayton has those passing yards because they can't run the ball on Crosby. Dayton has only rushed for over 100 yards as a team on Crosby once in the last three years and that was McBride taking direct snaps running side to side a couple of years ago. On the flip side Crosby has rushed for 1,078 yards alone while Dayton as a whole has only moved the ball for 1,059 yards. Riordan knows he always has the ability to line up and mash it down Dayton's throat in his back pocket which I think may have affected the earlier parts of the game the last few years. Crosby is averaging a little over 359ypg rushing the last few meetings but really hasn't started running the ball until later in the games. All Dayton could average last year with this big o-line you talked about was 2.8ypc.

If Nations doesn't get some of that finesse out of Dayton, three years from now they'll still be averaging 257 passing ypg against Crosby and have three more L's to go with it.