Silsbee 95 Hardin-Jefferson 64/Final

WOSgrad

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Well, so far you are wrong on the two teams you named. Wheatley is a mirror image to Silsbee. Up tempo, pressure, shoot 3 ball. No real post play. La Marque, well they are Region IV, so they wouldn't see them till SA.

Three best teams in Region III: Silsbee, Wheatley and a healthy Hardin-Jefferson.

Yeah that's cool. Maybe there is nobody in Region III that plays that style. Unfortunate it would seem being this is the style of just about every state champion you'll run across in the last 10-15 years.

Like I said, Its probably not smart to say who and when. I just wanted to highlight that it would certainly be that "style" that eliminates Silsbee.

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Well, so far you are wrong on the two teams you named. Wheatley is a mirror image to Silsbee. Up tempo, pressure, shoot 3 ball. No real post play. La Marque, well they are Region IV, so they wouldn't see them till SA.

Three best teams in Region III: Silsbee, Wheatley and a healthy Hardin-Jefferson.

Agreed.  Barring a really off night along the way by both, it should be Silsbee or Wheatley in SA.  I can't really see anyone else measuring up, although HJ could certainly upset either with a healthy Parquet and a lackluster effort by its opponent.  Once in SA, anything can happen.  

Congratulations to my Tigers!  First mission accomplished, District Champions!  Now on to the bigger goals.  I have to say hats off to HJ as well they put up a good fight for 3 quarters.  But the Tigers are just too much when they get rolling.  I have to say to Michael Saladin it has been fun to watch you play.  I can remember the first time I saw you last year thinking that this couldn't be who I have been hearing about, but have been nothing but impressed from that point on. And tonight I saw someone mention you had about 30 points and it must have been almost effortless, I never even realized you were close to that.  I know that HJ was missing a couple of playersand especially Parquet and we were missing an all state player as well. There is no doubt tonight that HJ issued Parquets ball handling.  He would be the one I would want yo see dribbling in pressure.  Without him Saladin had to do a lot of it and # 5 did a pretty good job.  But the There was no doubt in the end in this one.  Parquet may have helped some but not nearly enough.  

As for my Tigers play tonight, great pressure defense from start to finish.  The first half not so good on the offensive side. Too many missed 3s but the big thing was several missed layups for no reason.  Some of those were just flat out misses on a break.  Then in the second half that momentum got going and that was all she wrote.

a couple of points, one it was mentioned about some of the turnovers that HJ had that were maybe not a direct result of the Tigers defense.  I think a lot of those were the result of rushing because always seeming to have someone in your face.  I know I have seen in the past games where I felt we rushed say some shots inside when we were getting a lot of shots blocked or things like that.  I had the same view of several of those turnover that HJ usually wouldn't make tonight.

another thing I would like to mention is noticing a couple players tonight for the Tigers.  Maybe not the ones that had big scoring nights like Harris who had a great second half. One it was great having Tre Grubbs back tonight.  Roberts had a big game for HJ in the first game and tonight Tre offset a lot of that. I noticed several times Roberts would come down with or have a good chance at the rebound and Tre would take it away from him or knock it out of his hands.  He was a great spark tonight.  The other was Devon tonight.  I have been impressed with both freshmen this year but tonight I noticed Devon on a few of his drives and how he positioned his body to keep Roberts from being able to get to the ball. Good play for sure.

Last thing I want to say is that I hate that these two teams are being separated for the next two years and who knows after that.  Whether we have won 15 of the last 19 or not, they have all been fun.  Tonight's atmosphere reminded me of those games before ford park.  I realize that it's not very likely for a regular season game the next couple years but I as a fan will miss it!  

4 minutes ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

Another hater !!! We done seen the slow down game and a team with good guard play and post game....Still won, Where you from anyway. Your team must be practicing baseball already !!

My screen name alludes to where I am from. I'm not a hater, chief. Just a realist who despises full court pressure basketball.

Its so very easy to beat if you have those 3 ingridients.

Please tell me, WHO SLOWED the game down against Silsbee, and yet the Tigers were still victorious?

6 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

Yeah that's cool. Maybe there is nobody in Region III that plays that style. Unfortunate it would seem being this is the style of just about every state champion you'll run across in the last 10-15 years.

Like I said, Its probably not smart to say who and when. I just wanted to highlight that it would certainly be that "style" that eliminates Silsbee.

Last 10-15 years?? Every state champion, all classes?? I think you need to take a look at who actually won state titles in every classification the last 10-15 years. You will be surprised how many were up tempo, pressure defense.

3 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

My screen name alludes to where I am from. I'm not a hater, chief. Just a realist who despises full court pressure basketball.

Please tell me, WHO SLOWED the game down against Silsbee, and yet the Tigers were still victorious?

Your argument does have some merit.  I believe the Tigers' last loss was to such a team with a score in the 60s, Liberty Hill.  Obviously Silsbee is fully capable of winning such games, but it will be more challenging than games where they cause 25-30+ turnovers.  

Officiating is the other variable with the aggressive, pressure D they play. I really hope they don't run into a game where the officials call it tight as a string.  They have the depth to withstand foul trouble but it could cause serious issues with their rhythm/tempo.  

6 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

#2 Argyle at Whataburger tourney. Silsbee won 56-52.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Last 10-15 years?? Every state champion, all classes?? I think you need to take a look at who actually won state titles in every classification the last 10-15 years. You will be surprised how many were up tempo, pressure defense.

who said all classes.....We are talkin' about 4A basketball

I can go thru and list them but I know that you have been to ships for at least this long and seen the style I'm referring to.

3 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

Maybe not a hater, but you sure like to stir the pot.

You hardly ever have anything positive to say towards Silsbee.

All you do is troll threads and instigate.

Whether you like it or not, Silsbee is arguably the best team in the state.

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

#2 Argyle at Whataburger tourney. Silsbee won 56-52.

Interesting. This almost proves my point. And heck, I have not even seen Silsbee. How could I possibly know anything about their struggles against a team like Argyle that slows the pace down.

I'll certainly be the first to admit it, if I am wrong. I hope Silsbee runs the table and presses the socks off every team on the way to the ship.

But, if they lose, it will certainly be to a team that does what I would do to them with 2 guards and a post that move the ball well.

4 minutes ago, Pepper Brooks said:

Maybe not a hater, but you sure like to stir the pot.

You hardly ever have anything positive to say towards Silsbee.

All you do is troll threads and instigate.

Whether you like it or not, Silsbee is arguably the best team in the state.

You'll have to show me a post where I trolled Silsbee or said anything negative about them bud.

Perhaps football season when they were takin' on my Carthage Bulldogs, that they'd lose but certainly wasn't undermining their successes.

That's no my style chief. I wish all SE Texas schools the best of success. We got lots of catching up to do with the rest of the state.

2 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

Interesting. This almost proves my point. And heck, I have not even seen Silsbee. How could I possibly know anything about their struggles against a team like Argyle that slows the pace down.

I'll certainly be the first to admit it, if I am wrong. I hope Silsbee runs the table and presses the socks off every team on the way to the ship.

But, if they lose, it will certainly be to a team that does what I would do to them with 2 guards and a post that move the ball well.

Almost proves your point? You asked what team slowed it down but yet Silsbee came out victorious like you never thought they could win a slow down game. Well I gave you an example.Then #2 state ranked Argyle. It only disproved your point that Silsbee could not beat a team that slowed the game down with exceptional guard play with good post play. Argyle had both but yet Silsbee won.

12 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

We have improve since than and can adjust !!! Go see Silsbee play and then talk....I know a lot of people like you, dislike a team and wanna see them lose and then say I told you. Guys like you ain't worth a damn. Excuse my language AAW

1 minute ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

We have improve since than and can adjust !!! Go see Silsbee play and then talk....I know a lot of people like you, dislike a team and wanna see them lose and then say I told you. Guys like you ain't worth a damn. Excuse my language AAW

Actually, I want them to win their first state championship in school history on the hardwood. It doesn't add to my bank account whether or not they win it all or exit in the 3rd/4th round. No dog in the fight. Good luck & yes I do need to come see a Silsbee game. Coach Davis filled me in on the game earlier. Sounds like it was a good one for the Tigers.

29 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Your argument does have some merit.  I believe the Tigers' last loss was to such a team with a score in the 60s, Liberty Hill.  Obviously Silsbee is fully capable of winning such games, but it will be more challenging than games where they cause 25-30+ turnovers.  

Officiating is the other variable with the aggressive, pressure D they play. I really hope they don't run into a game where the officials call it tight as a string.  They have the depth to withstand foul trouble but it could cause serious issues with their rhythm/tempo.  

I like this guy.

1 hour ago, MOSSHILL said:

The past three years have all been uptempo style teams that have won state in 4A/3A  trends are changing. 

4 hours ago, PrettyBoi10 said:

Parquet and Bernard done for the year spoke to them personally and MOSS HILL you must've been the slow un athletic kid in school that's normally the kind who like to she a slow down game 

If true that's unfortunate for HJ.  did parquet mention his impending move that others have mentioned, or is that just talk?

7 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

Wheatley, La Marque - probably the only two in the region that can hang

It may not be round 4, but I will certainly say it will be the team that slows the game down and makes the Tigers play an unorthodox style that they are certainly not accustom to. Big Sandy with size down low type of team and that will absolutely murder a team that wants to run and is built to run.

It's retarded for me to sit here and say to who or when...I just know that's how it's going to happen.

If I am wrong, which I likely can be because I have not seen Silsbee, then I will gladly admit I am wrong when they are crowned state champ.

Mosshill stop hatting. LaMarqe is Region 4 and Wheatley is small. All of Silsbee kids are are about 6'2 and 6'3 besides Newton and Adonis Thomas who are about 5'9. Silsbee is very long and athletic. They have beat many 6A and 5A (Beaumont Central #5 5A) . They can play the half court or press. If you haven't seen them play it is best not to assume or comment.

Team stats

Score by quarters

1           2              3               4           tot

Silsbee                      14        24             18            39           95

Hardin-Jefferson       20        14              12           18           64

FT %

SIL               10/17  59%

HJ                13/19  68%

3 Point %

SIL               9/32  28% (was 4 of 24 (17%), then finished 5 of 8 (63%))

HJ                7/18  39%

Rebounds

SIL                  42

HJ                   28

Turnovers

SIL                 15

HJ                  37 WOW!!!

Fouls

SIL                21

HJ                15

Individual stats will be posted later