St. Pius Knocks Off #3 Concordia Tonight

winwin

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Didn't St. Thomas beat Concordia earlier this week?

And yes, Kelly plays in the toughest district of any team in this area. 

Yes St. Thomas beat them. I dont think the experts (pollsters) think so. Otherwise they wouldnt have us ranked 12th lol. 

57 minutes ago, winwin said:

Yes St. Thomas beat them. I dont think the experts (pollsters) think so. Otherwise they wouldnt have us ranked 12th lol. 

It's all how they view the polls.  Obviously Kelly would mop the floor with almost every team in that poll (Big Sandy and MAYBE one or two others excepted).  However, most apparently vote on records or recent activity and not who is better than whom (I assume anyway).  I still have them second behind Big Sandy which is the only reason they were even 12th I guess...

Yes, however in the big school polling, when a top team losses to another top "known" team, they usually drop one spot. For instance, when Concordia beat us last week, we moved from 7 to 12. If Ozen would have beaten us by 15 last week, we probably wouldnt have dropped at all. Hell in the TABC poll we moved UP after that loss. And yes Concordia is better than Ozen for those wondering. So I think it has more to do with them not knowing how good St. Thomas, St. Pius and Concordia are. 

Doesn't Kelly play in a 5 team district?

I think other districts in this area get watered down due to the bottom schools that can't compete with anybody in their classification. Plus UIL is different than TAPPS. More public than private schools making districts much bigger than private. 

UIL= over 1300

TAPPS= around 200

5 minutes ago, Baller 93 said:

I think other districts in this area get watered down due to the bottom schools that can't compete with anybody in their classification. Plus UIL is different than TAPPS. More public than private schools making districts much bigger than private. 

UIL= over 1300

TAPPS= around 200

We are in TAPPS 5A. Kelly is 425. St. Thomas 800 (All boys). St. Pius 600 and Concordia around 650. There are other schools in TAPPS 5A with over 1000. And you are right, we only have one team in district that doesnt compete every year (Awty). Pius is small but they have a strong team. Concordia and St Thomas would both finish either  1st or 2nd in any district in this area. They would walk through our local 6A district. Pius would be top 4

16 minutes ago, Baller 93 said:

UIL= over 1300

TAPPS= around 200

Yes, but 4 teams in that district would be playoff teams in any district in this area.  However, no other district has 4 teams that would be playoffs teams in that TAPPs 5A district.  A gain, just my humble opinion.  

I'm not saying Kelly would or should be ranked if they were in the big school poll.  But to not rank them in the 3A and under poll is to base rankings on something other than who is better than whom.   Which is fine.  People have different views on polls and I'm apparently in the overwhelming minority. 

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Yes, but 4 teams in that district would be playoff teams in any district in this area.  However, no other district has 4 teams that would be playoffs teams in that TAPPs 5A district.  A gain, just my humble opinion.  

I'm not saying Kelly would or should be ranked if they were in the big school poll.  But to not rank them in the 3A and under poll is to base rankings on something other than who is better than whom.   Which is fine.  People have different views on polls and I'm apparently in the overwhelming minority. 

If Silbee lost to Ozen, Central, HJ and Nederland in a 3 week stretch, they wouldnt move more than 6 spots. Thats the point. Because they dont know the TAPPS 5A teams, the over value the loss. I'm not whinning, just pointing out the double standard. I dont really mind  that we dropped because it gives me a motivator with the team

1 minute ago, winwin said:

If Silbee lost to Ozen, Central, HJ and Nederland in a 3 week stretch, they wouldnt move more than 6 spots. Thats the point. Because they dont know the TAPPS 5A teams, the over value the loss. I'm not whinning, just pointing out the double standard. I dont really mind  that we dropped because it gives me a motivator with the team

I get the point.  I was just saying I can't in good conscience vote teams above a team that would beat them by 30-40 points or more.  Which is all but maybe at most 4 to 5 teams in that poll...

7 minutes ago, PaBees said:

Well, how bout this? IT'S NOT A REAL RANKING!!!  Concordia is not better than Ozen, either.  I like Kelly and the district is strong, but let's be real.

Very true. 

I don't think I would favor Concordia over Ozen either.  But I do think it would be a highly competitive game.  

Public schools are limited to their own zone or city of student athletes. Private schools have no limitation except for cost of tuition. They can live anywhere to go there.

How many kids in that District (Concordia, St. Pius, St. Thomas, Kelly) have always gone to a private school? Or have they jumped around schools their whole life?

1 hour ago, Baller 93 said:

Public schools are limited to their own zone or city of student athletes. Private schools have no limitation except for cost of tuition. They can live anywhere to go there.

How many kids in that District (Concordia, St. Pius, St. Thomas, Kelly) have always gone to a private school? Or have they jumped around schools their whole life?

Most are straight private.

5 minutes ago, winwin said:

Is Ozen better than SATCH?

All about matchups.  If the SATCH that played API shows up, I would favor SATCH.  Ozen is all about the guards and they don't have anyone that can hang with JJ Caldwell.  Which is not a knock, most don't. I would think they would matchup better with Concordia though, even though Concordia beat SATCH.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

All about matchups.  If the SATCH that played API shows up, I would favor SATCH.  Ozen is all about the guards and they don't have anyone that can hang with JJ Caldwell.  Which is not a knock, most don't. I would think they would matchup better with Concordia though, even though Concordia beat SATCH.  

Beat SATCH TWICE. By 9 and 16. And the answer is no...Ozen is not better than SATCH. It wouldnt be a blow out but SATCH would win by low double digits. I have seen all three teams play this year and Ozen would struggle with Concordia