Houston and Setx falling way behind

Uncle Pig

Guest ECBucFan

I have a sincere question, this is not sarcasm.

What would you rather have? A school/team that has a huge, state of the art indoor training facility and stadium, with jumbotron, etc.that everyone else is envious of, and they routinely win district, routinely goes 3 or more rounds in the playoffs, and wins State a time or two, but is Academically poor or unacceptable, and has a declining enrollment, and is plagued with other problems.

OR

A school/team that has a "decent" program, maybe goes 6-4 or thereabouts, has a "decent" but otherwise unremarkable training facility and stadium, and usually makes the playoffs but exits in the first round or two. Meanwhile, the school is Academically recognized or even at times exceptional, and has sound financials, and has a safe and conducive learning environment where academics are upheld as the foremost priority for the student-athletes?       

Again, thats a sincere question. Thanks.

I don't know.  I heard that there was a school in Southeast Texas that has a football stadium that was built the same year I was born (1968).  They still play on grass manufactured by God and they don't have one of these exploding video scoreboards.  I do understand that in late December they did make one upgrade to their facilities...

A shiny new state championship trophy.

Although money helps, you can't always buy championships.

Guest ECBucFan
2 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Most of the Fort Worth schools and North Dallas schools are both. They are successful in sports and in the classroom. Brock, Aledo, Carroll, Allen, Frisco, etc. Some aren't, but the majority are.

You have listed 5 fine names, football wise, for sure, but I don't know if "most" FW & D schools are "both" though. How many schools are in the greater D-FW area? 

If you do have 8 DF-W schools in a district, then by definition, 4 will sit home from the playoffs, and likely 2 more will exit in the first round (since they likely meet other great D-FW teams right away). No matter how "good" they might seem to be, they will be deemed a "failure" by folks on the internet. There are 1200+ HS teams in TX. Can every...single...one of them be an Allen, Aledo, SouthLake Carrol or Katy?  

FWIW, I am as passionate about TX HS Football as anyone. Anyone who reads my words through the years know thats true for sure. With that said, unless a student is ultra elite, and will soon make millions in the NFL, academics should the foremost priority for every student, and by definition, the schools they attend. A quick search just told me 0.09% of HS Football players make it to the NFL. The other 99.91% better hit the books just as hard as they try to hit their opponents on Friday night.      

47 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

You have listed 5 fine names, football wise, for sure, but I don't know if "most" FW & D schools are "both" though. How many schools are in the greater D-FW area? 

If you do have 8 DF-W schools in a district, then by definition, 4 will sit home from the playoffs, and likely 2 more will exit in the first round (since they likely meet other great D-FW teams right away). No matter how "good" they might seem to be, they will be deemed a "failure" by folks on the internet. There are 1200+ HS teams in TX. Can every...single...one of them be an Allen, Aledo, SouthLake Carrol or Katy?  

FWIW, I am as passionate about TX HS Football as anyone. Anyone who reads my words through the years know thats true for sure. With that said, unless a student is ultra elite, and will soon make millions in the NFL, academics should the foremost priority for every student, and by definition, the schools they attend. A quick search just told me 0.09% of HS Football players make it to the NFL. The other 99.91% better hit the books just as hard as they try to hit their opponents on Friday night.      

While you do have a good point...athletics are some kids only way out so I disagree especially for schools thats in the inner city. Athletics have changed a lot of kids lives most of the teams that are really successful on the field/court it tends to translate in the classroom as well.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

I don't know.  I heard that there was a school in Southeast Texas that has a football stadium that was built the same year I was born (1968).  They still play on grass manufactured by God and they don't have one of these exploding video scoreboards.  I do understand that in late December they did make one upgrade to their facilities...

You think Coach Thompson would say no if they tried to build him one?

36 minutes ago, Go-rilla said:

Wos grad do you not believe that the kids and coaches of wos have done enough to be given the best facilities money can buy?

East chambers has beautiful facilities! Is there that much more money in Winnie than every other district around??

Do the kids and coaches at WO-S deserve the finest in facilities? Absolutely!

Do I wish that they had all of the bells and whistles?  You bet!

Do I wish that every program in Southeast Texas had the indoor practice facilities, field turf on their fields and the state of the art video boards in the end zones? Without a doubt, yes!

That being said, the premise of this thread being that you have to have all of the bells and whistles to have a consistent winning program or to garner a state championship simply isn't the case. 

In fact, let me pose the question this way.  If we all got our most ardent of wishes and EVERY program in the area had all of the above, could you say that any more programs would have brought home a title other than the 1 that was earned this season?  Having seen the teams, a lot of them being high quality teams, probably not.  You see, we here can have those desires and make our demands and covet the best.  That's okay, that is in part what this site is here for and I do it just as much, if not more than anyone. 

Unfortunately, the respective school boards in the area don't operate with the unlimited funds that we wish that they would have.  They have limited, in some cases extremely limited, funds with which to take care of several priorities.  And, much as we wish this was not the case, athletics is not always the priority.  Such a sell is even harder to a resident of the school district who is told that the new athletic facility will results in hundreds, if not thousands, or more in taxes that they will have to dole out every year. 

Will that doom the area to fewer state titles? Perhaps.  However, we can't blame local school districts if their response to such a scenario is "We'll just have to live with that."

7 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Do the kids and coaches at WO-S deserve the finest in facilities? Absolutely!

Do I wish that they had all of the bells and whistles?  You bet!

Do I wish that every program in Southeast Texas had the indoor practice facilities, field turf on their fields and the state of the art video boards in the end zones? Without a doubt, yes!

That being said, the premise of this thread being that you have to have all of the bells and whistles to have a consistent winning program or to garner a state championship simply isn't the case. 

In fact, let me pose the question this way.  If we all got our most ardent of wishes and EVERY program in the area had all of the above, could you say that any more programs would have brought home a title other than the 1 that was earned this season?  Having seen the teams, a lot of them being high quality teams, probably not.  You see, we here can have those desires and make our demands and covet the best.  That's okay, that is in part what this site is here for and I do it just as much, if not more than anyone. 

Unfortunately, the respective school boards in the area don't operate with the unlimited funds that we wish that they would have.  They have limited, in some cases extremely limited, funds with which to take care of several priorities.  And, much as we wish this was not the case, athletics is not always the priority.  Such a sell is even harder to a resident of the school district who is told that the new athletic facility will results in hundreds, if not thousands, or more in taxes that they will have to dole out every year. 

Will that doom the area to fewer state titles? Perhaps.  However, we can't blame local school districts if their response to such a scenario is "We'll just have to live with that."

And it's not the boards having limited funds, it's called priorities. If you think for one minute that several of those schools on that list have any more money than a lot of these southeast Texas schools you're kidding yourself.

10 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

While you do have a good point...athletics are some kids only way out so I disagree especially for schools thats in the inner city. Athletics have changed a lot of kids lives most of the teams that are really successful on the field/court it tends to translate in the classroom as well.

False. People who continue to perpetuate that myth are part of the problem. Those kids can get out with hard work in the classroom, despite what happens on the field or court. I know plenty of kids from impoverished backgrounds, and terrible neighborhoods who sat next to me in classes at a Baptist university in East Texas and never paid a dime. They took advantage of the government programs that were available to them, and only available to them because they focused their time and effort in the classroom.

Also, athletics have not changed a lot of kids lives. The correct statement is "athletics have changed a few kids lives". Look at the statistics on how many kids parlay their HS athletic success into a 4 year college scholarship, then look at the numbers of how many have gone pro. We have to quit telling these kids that they can get out of the hood with athletics and start reminding them that their chances are better to get out of the hood with academics.

Facilities equal Pride.

Kids take notice of what they are given. Good Schools tend to lead to good education. Good facilities tend to lead to wins.

Let me ask you this Question:

Would you join a work out facility, pay good money, spend countless hours there, take pride in being a member IF there was no Air Conditioning, the equipment had holes in it, the walls were not painted and the restrooms were old and crappy?? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Then why do we ask our kids to??

2 minutes ago, Go-rilla said:

Facilities equal Pride.

Kids take notice of what they are given. Good Schools tend to lead to good education. Good facilities tend to lead to wins.

Let me ask you this Question:

Would you join a work out facility, pay good money, spend countless hours there, take pride in being a member IF there was no Air Conditioning, the equipment had holes in it, the walls were not painted and the restrooms were old and crappy?? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Then why do we ask our kids to??

+1,000

13 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes you can.  I know...you can find exceptions.  Anyone can.  But championships are bought every year..in every sport..on every level.

Guest ECBucFan
12 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

While you do have a good point...athletics are some kids only way out so I disagree especially for schools thats in the inner city.

I respectfully disagree that a inner city students success in life can be predicated only on athletics.  With that mindset, should the non-athletic inner city student, or one with an unsuccessful football program simply give up? Athletics are not "the only way out". Academic achievement and upstanding personal character is the way to personal betterment in life. 

Beside the point?  Beside what point?  You asked me how many state champs are in that list?  0, nada, zilch in that list will be able to post up on a sign post or paint on their stadium that they won a state championship this year.  That may not fit into your narrative, but fact is fact. 

And you pose a different question to attempt to fit into your narrative, but guess what, you don't fare much better there.  Of the 61 schools on the list you posted a WHOPPING 6 (that's right, about 10 percent of the schools on that list) have managed to win a state championship since the 2006-2007 season (I believe that is the time frame you asked for).

To Go-rilla's question, I certainly would not purchase a membership in such a work out facility.  But there is a difference, that is a decision I make WITH MY MONEY!  A school board member or administrator has to make do with the money provided to them and must do so for all of the children in their district, whether that child is a star football player or a child which is just there to get their diploma so that they can go on to college.  You see, ECBucFan has it right.  The priority of a school district is to educate.  I think that because we come to a site which is devoted to only part of the high school experience, we lose sight of that at times.

15 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I have a sincere question, this is not sarcasm.

What would you rather have? A school/team that has a huge, state of the art indoor training facility and stadium, with jumbotron, etc.that everyone else is envious of, and they routinely win district, routinely goes 3 or more rounds in the playoffs, and wins State a time or two, but is Academically poor or unacceptable, and has a declining enrollment, and is plagued with other problems.

OR

A school/team that has a "decent" program, maybe goes 6-4 or thereabouts, has a "decent" but otherwise unremarkable training facility and stadium, and usually makes the playoffs but exits in the first round or two. Meanwhile, the school is Academically recognized or even at times exceptional, and has sound financials, and has a safe and conducive learning environment where academics are upheld as the foremost priority for the student-athletes?       

Again, thats a sincere question. Thanks.

Dude, you do NOT have to sacrifice one for the other. In fact, usually when you are successful in sports your test scores increase too because there is a positive moral around the school and the kids seem to take a little bit more pride in everything they do.

13 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Beside the point?  Beside what point?  You asked me how many state champs are in that list?  0, nada, zilch in that list will be able to post up on a sign post or paint on their stadium that they won a state championship this year.  That may not fit into your narrative, but fact is fact. 

And you pose a different question to attempt to fit into your narrative, but guess what, you don't fare much better there.  Of the 61 schools on the list you posted a WHOPPING 6 (that's right, about 10 percent of the schools on that list) have managed to win a state championship since the 2006-2007 season (I believe that is the time frame you asked for).

To Go-rilla's question, I certainly would not purchase a membership in such a work out facility.  But there is a difference, that is a decision I make WITH MY MONEY!  A school board member or administrator has to make do with the money provided to them and must do so for all of the children in their district, whether that child is a star football player or a child which is just there to get their diploma so that they can go on to college.  You see, ECBucFan has it right.  The priority of a school district is to educate.  I think that because we come to a site which is devoted to only part of the high school experience, we lose sight of that at times.

Money brings in better teachers as well.  You think the teachers across the state with the best test scores are lining up to teach at a school barely above state base?... to help the less fortunate kids?... I'm afraid not.

They (just like you and everyone else) know their value.  And go get there value.

Guest ECBucFan
14 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I think that because we come to a site which is devoted to only part of the high school experience, we lose sight of that at times.

Thanks. You just verbalized the exact thought I had in my head. We are on a sports forum full of passionate fans (self included!!) so we inevitably get a skewed perception when thoughts are voiced regarding the relative prioritizations of the academic institutions our young people attend.

14 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Money brings in better teachers as well.  You think the teachers across the state with the best test scores are lining up to teach at a school barely above state base?... to help the less fortunate kids?... I'm afraid not.

They (just like you and everyone else) know their value.  And go get there value.

No argument there and I know you speak from experience on that.  But based on that experience, here is my question to you.

Would the teachers amongst your friends and family be any more willing to go to teach at a school which pays barely above the state base yet has a shiny new indoor practice facility?