Silsbee vs Hardin Jefferson Round 2 Friday Night

BADSANTA

RcsSports
Friday's showdown between arch rivals Silsbee and Hardin Jefferson may be lacking some of the fire since the first meeting last month.  Silsbee's Michael McCain is out after being injured during a fight enroute to the team bus.  HJ's most athletic player, Elijah Parquet (ranked #9 in 2018) was injured during the 2nd period vs Silsbee, and has not returned to action.  The grapevine tells me he could return for the playoffs while there are rumors Parquet may have played his final game in a HJ uniform this season.  Without Parquet, HJ hardly stands a realistic chance to beat Silsbee.  However, the game is being played at Hardin Jefferson, so the crowd should be electric and could remain that way as long as #69 ranked Michael Saladin can knock down shots.

23 minutes ago, Who That said:

Don't forget Starter T. Grubbs for Silsbee will be back tonight. Who has been Silsbee leading scorer before missing the last few games. He will be a beast tonight. :)

And scoring is maybe the least important part of what he brings to that team.  It's all the other things he contributes that they miss the most IMO.  I would guess if they kept up with it, he would lead the area in triple doubles, which is remarkable considering that almost all of the Silsbee players play maybe half a game.  And the intangibles he brings cannot be overstated..

13 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Why would he move to Kelly? He is from Beaumont right? Why would he move from HJ who has a solid program and young energetic head coach? 

No one from the Parquet family has personally contacted us at Kelly but I keep hearing this rumor myself. Most of the time when kids talk about leaving, its because they look into the future. Maybe he thinks the upcoming group will struggle without Saladin, Roberts and Rogers there next year. Who knows with kids these days. But if they are talking, that would be the only logical guess. It certainly wouldn't be Coach Davis or the program itself. Top notch. Perhaps the communications program :) What say you Nash?

40 minutes ago, Drango1 said:

people have been saying hj is gonna be down next year every year for as long as i can remember...that pipeline is plenty full...just because no one is on a message board touting their young kids as the next great thing doesnt mean anything

I'm not talking from a fans perspective. I'm saying maybe the player thinks thats the case. Just a guess. 

49 minutes ago, Drango1 said:

people have been saying hj is gonna be down next year every year for as long as i can remember...that pipeline is plenty full...just because no one is on a message board touting their young kids as the next great thing doesnt mean anything

Agreed.  Anyone who has seen HJ's JV and freshman teams play knows that "down years" aren't in their foreseeable future...

2 hours ago, winwin said:

I'm not talking from a fans perspective. I'm saying maybe the player thinks thats the case. Just a guess. 

15 & 16 year old kids aren't evaluating talent around them and making decisions where to go to school based on that. If they are and parents are listening....well that speaks volumes about them. 

I'm not sure how you could read between the lines of the RCS Sports blog and come up with anything along the lines of Parquet never putting on an HJ uniform again ? While it's way to early to even think about next season I don't see any reason a young man of Parquets talent wouldn't want to lead what the Hawks have coming. The injury bug has been brutal to them this year losing Tilley for the season before it began and Bernard shortly after the start of it. When you return Bernard, Parquet, Zbranek and Tilley. A JV club that has lost 6 games in 2 years and a freshman group that just completed an 18-0 season the future is far from bleak. Once again the demise of the Hawks may be over exaggerated.

19 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I'm not sure how you could read between the lines of the RCS Sports blog and come up with anything along the lines of Parquet never putting on an HJ uniform again ? While it's way to early to even think about next season I don't see any reason a young man of Parquets talent wouldn't want to lead what the Hawks have coming. The injury bug has been brutal to them this year losing Tilley for the season before it began and Bernard shortly after the start of it. When you return Bernard, Parquet, Zbranek and Tilley. A JV club that has lost 6 games in 2 years and a freshman group that just completed an 18-0 season the future is far from bleak. Once again the demise of the Hawks may be over exaggerated.

Plus, they don't have to play Silsbee for two years. :)