2016 Dallas Cowboys

3 minutes ago, baddog said:

Man, I really think Dallas needs to take this guy. I like him better than Goff. He is 6' 5" and 236 lbs and has a rifle arm that he still has touch with for the lobs.

This is the hidden content, please

If he is still there at 4. Cleveland is at two and they are definitely taking a QB.

Here's a scouting report on Joe Looney. (Bryan Broddaus from dallascowboys.com)

Name: 

This is the hidden content, please

Position: OG/C
College:  Wake Forest
Height: 6-3
Weight: 309
Draft: 117th overall by San Francisco, 2012

Games Studied: 2015 Tennessee vs. Carolina, Jacksonville; 2014 San Francisco vs. Seattle

Report: Looney is a similar type of player in what they had in Mackenzy Bernadeau, given his athletic ability and position flexibility. He has lined up at center and guard during his NFL career. Belly-to-belly blocker that likes to get tight to his man in order to control him.

One knock against him is that he tends to play upright and a little stiff. There’s not much knee bend or flex. He plays with a wide base when it comes to pass protection. He plays with some upper body power and strength, and this allows him to hold his man in place. He also shows some punch and power in his hands.

When Looney gets his hands inside, he can be tough to disengage from in this position. There are snaps where his hands get outside the frame of the defender and it will put him in a terrible blocking position. Like Bernadeau, he’s not the smoothest athlete when it comes to getting to the second level. He’s often out of balance and left trying to adjust in space. If he gets close to his man, he has enough power to push him past the play. He can position block all day when he’s one-on-one and he can keep the defender tight.

One thing I’ll say for him is that he has really nice awareness to help in the pocket when he is uncovered. As a center, he showed more initial quickness but had his troubles when he had to execute back blocks. Against Seattle in 2014, the opposing defensive linemen were just too fast up the field for him to get in front. He was beaten badly to his off-hand side for a penetration. However, he was aware to adjust to the blitz. He wasn’t fooled by the game upfront and was able to make the correct read.

Bottom line: this is a limited athlete that plays with power and smarts. I liked him better as a guard than center but the fact that he can do both helps this team’s situation. 

The Dallas Cowboys suffered another big blow to an already depleted defensive front.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the team and Demarcus Lawrence were notified that the defensive end faces a four-game suspension for another failed drug test. Lawrence is appealing the suspension, according to sources informed of the situation.

The Dallas Morning News first reported the pending ban.

Lawrence was previously hit with a four-game fine for a substance abuse violation, making a four-game suspension the next step.

Dallas already had huge question marks along the defensive front entering next week's NFL draft. Earlier this offseason, defensive end Randy Gregory was suspended for the first four contests for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. The Cowboys have wanted nothing to do with bringing back Greg Hardy. Jeremy Mincey also remains unsigned.

The depletion of depth along the defensive line could force the Cowboys to eschew the likes of running back Ezekiel Elliott or corner Jalen Ramsey and use their No. 4 overall pick on a pass rusher, such as Joey Bosa.

4 hours ago, CRUSHCOACH said:

WOW!!! Looks like Bosa may have to be taken with the 4th pick now. And maybe Prescott later.

I believe you are correct. Tho Mel Kiper has us taking Elliot now. With the addition of Alfred Morris in the offseason i dont see why we would take him. Bosa with the 4th pick and then probably Dak later.