Angel Bullock

3 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Let me know if I may be of assistance....I have never seen the kid play, and have barely heard of him. What school does he play for? What is his natural position? Stats? Grades? Class rank? Summer ball program? See how this stuff goes, people? Its not rocket science, but kids that can play come a dime a dozen to coaches on the Division I level...However, kids that are talented enough to play at the next level, CAN be placed at a college or university SOMEWHERE, FOR FREE...My guys (college coaches that I know) trust my assessments of players and ask me about guys around here ALL OF THE TIME. San Jacinto JC coach called me while he was in town yesterday playing Lamar State, for example, and asked me if I knew any "sleepers" in the area...Not name dropping, but letting you guys know, that don't know, how this all works.  Again, I'm all for helping kids...so let me know.

Angel plays for 2A #1 Big Sandy. Walter, if you get time, go see this young man and his team. You will not regret it.

Best shooter I have seen in years and has a very underrated overall game. Love his post play when Coach Foster puts him down low.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Once he gets to college and starts lifting weights and eating right he will be able to take his game to another level. Its amazing the number of small school coaches that dont see the benefits of the weight room. You MUST lift weights to be able to play and compete at the next level. 

A lot of coaches don't believe in weigh lifting. Mine started in middle school and it really helped them by the time they got to high school.

Recruiting has changed so much. 25 years ago, coaches contacted you, scouted and actually recruited you (Some big time players still get this, but not the lesser known athletes). Now, the players are expected to reach out and contact coaches with social media and email to see if they have any interest. This concept is not easy for some athletes and parents to do (especially if you have grown up letting your game speak for itself, which I think fits Angel). He should be receiving offers, great player that does the big things on the court and just as importantly does the little things. 

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

Let me know if I may be of assistance....I have never seen the kid play, and have barely heard of him. What school does he play for? What is his natural position? Stats? Grades? Class rank? Summer ball program? See how this stuff goes, people? Its not rocket science, but kids that can play come a dime a dozen to coaches on the Division I level...However, kids that are talented enough to play at the next level, CAN be placed at a college or university SOMEWHERE, FOR FREE...My guys (college coaches that I know) trust my assessments of players and ask me about guys around here ALL OF THE TIME. San Jacinto JC coach called me while he was in town yesterday playing Lamar State, for example, and asked me if I knew any "sleepers" in the area...Not name dropping, but letting you guys know, that don't know, how this all works.  Again, I'm all for helping kids...so let me know.

I'm sure AAW can give you his stats and specific details better than anyone else can on the site, aside from BS Wildcats that may be able to help as well.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Angel plays for 2A #1 Big Sandy. Walter, if you get time, go see this young man and his team. You will not regret it.

Best shooter I have seen in years and has a very underrated overall game. Love his post play when Coach Foster puts him down low.

His post play is the most underrated part of his game, he can post-up anyone on the court. Watched him post up a 6'5 post, that is a very talented post, and score on him 2-3 times in one game.

There's been a lack of exposure, but he's the real deal.  one of the most complete players i've seen in quite some time, and i don't know that i can remember a better shooter.  I hope that he finds somewhere.  I wish i had connections at my old school.  He'd do wonders for ETBU's squad, although he's deserving of a better opportunity than that.

3 hours ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

The difference may be is that Garth has played against and performed against the top players in the nation, who are at Duke, Kentucky, Baylor, etc. Garth has a proven track record.

Ya Dove Your right on that one..   Bullock should a get a shot somewhere might not be a D1.  If his game is good enough he will eventually find his way in a D1 program. 

Fist of all, Angel is a fine player and will play college basketball somewhere.  He’s a great young man with great character and a strong academic record.  That being said, people fail to realize that recruiting is so much more than being good enough.  Recruiting is about being good enough, fitting the need of the university, fitting the style of play of the coach, meshing with the coach, getting seen, and finally the coach deciding that the particular player is his number one target.  So many coaches now are more concerned with fitting a particular physical profile as opposed to established skill set.  Most coaches would rather a 6’4” freakishly athletic kid with potential over a 6’1” kid, not very athletic, and an already established skill set.  Recruiting has changed to the point now that just playing AAU is not enough.  If you want to get noticed, you have to play on the right team and lots of times that is not enough.  You better be playing on a team that either has a player that is already being recruited or will play against players that are already being recruited.  That’s the only guarantee to get seen on the summer circuit.  Your AAU team can play in the biggest tournaments out there but, if you are off in some side gym the whole weekend then odds are you are not where the college coaches (DI at least) are.

As for Angel being able to play at Lamar or Sam Houston, that is another mistake that lots of people make.  Look at the Bosha kid from HJ for example.  He is the school’s all time leading scorer, arguably one of the best to come through there and he is barely touching the floor at Lamar.  On top of that, he is 6’5” and long and rangy.  To say any kid should have already received offers at this point in their senior year is not accurate.  Most smaller schools (NAIA, DII, DIII) will do the majority of their signings in the spring time of a player’s senior year.  That is when those schools are most active.  Heck, there are not a whole lot of schools period that are out recruiting heavily right now.  It is the heart of conference play, they are only out there if scheduling works out.

Recruiting is like selling a home.  You can put your home on the market for $200,000 but, if the best offer you get is $150,000 then that is what the market says your house is worth.  And if you don’t get any offers then unfortunately, then you may not sell your house.

Angel has a great coach who, I have no doubt, is working very hard to help him in any way possible.  People also must understand that the recruiting process is a group effort.  It is not just the high school coach’s responsibility, it is not just the parent’s responsibility, nor is it just the AAU coach’s responsibility.  It is everyone’s job to work together to do what is best for the kid and then let the chips fall where they may.  

2 hours ago, Drango1 said:

Fist of all, Angel is a fine player and will play college basketball somewhere.  He’s a great young man with great character and a strong academic record.  That being said, people fail to realize that recruiting is so much more than being good enough.  Recruiting is about being good enough, fitting the need of the university, fitting the style of play of the coach, meshing with the coach, getting seen, and finally the coach deciding that the particular player is his number one target.  So many coaches now are more concerned with fitting a particular physical profile as opposed to established skill set.  Most coaches would rather a 6’4” freakishly athletic kid with potential over a 6’1” kid, not very athletic, and an already established skill set.  Recruiting has changed to the point now that just playing AAU is not enough.  If you want to get noticed, you have to play on the right team and lots of times that is not enough.  You better be playing on a team that either has a player that is already being recruited or will play against players that are already being recruited.  That’s the only guarantee to get seen on the summer circuit.  Your AAU team can play in the biggest tournaments out there but, if you are off in some side gym the whole weekend then odds are you are not where the college coaches (DI at least) are.

As for Angel being able to play at Lamar or Sam Houston, that is another mistake that lots of people make.  Look at the Bosha kid from HJ for example.  He is the school’s all time leading scorer, arguably one of the best to come through there and he is barely touching the floor at Lamar.  On top of that, he is 6’5” and long and rangy.  To say any kid should have already received offers at this point in their senior year is not accurate.  Most smaller schools (NAIA, DII, DIII) will do the majority of their signings in the spring time of a player’s senior year.  That is when those schools are most active.  Heck, there are not a whole lot of schools period that are out recruiting heavily right now.  It is the heart of conference play, they are only out there if scheduling works out.

Recruiting is like selling a home.  You can put your home on the market for $200,000 but, if the best offer you get is $150,000 then that is what the market says your house is worth.  And if you don’t get any offers then unfortunately, then you may not sell your house.

Angel has a great coach who, I have no doubt, is working very hard to help him in any way possible.  People also must understand that the recruiting process is a group effort.  It is not just the high school coach’s responsibility, it is not just the parent’s responsibility, nor is it just the AAU coach’s responsibility.  It is everyone’s job to work together to do what is best for the kid and then let the chips fall where they may.  

Truth!

Most of you don't want to hear it but if Angel had played the EYBL, UAA or Gauntlet, he would be holding multiple offers.   Personally, I think he could have and competed favorably.  Love this kid's game.  But college coaches want to see how a kid plays against the best of the best and that's why they spend most of their time scouting on those circuits and at the accompanying high level camps.   

Regardless, I believe he can play at the next level.   His shooting is what most people think of and with good reason.   But it's the little things that stand out to me watching him play.   The kid is extremely strong with the ball and see the floor very well.  His defense is underrated IMO and although he is not the quickest kid you'll see, he always seems to have himself in the right position.   With his basketball IQ, he anticipates ball movement on the defensive end as well as you'll see at the HS level.  And he probably rebounds as well or better for his size as I've seen.  Good luck catching him missing a box out.  

I believe whoever takes a flyer on this kid will be extremely glad they did.  Especially considering how highly he is thought of in terms of academics and character.  

Please educate me on those programs you mention in the first sentence. EYBL, UAA and Gauntlet ?

Gabe's Native Pride (AAU) team traveled the state and I don't know for how long, or types of tournaments they played in but he told me that Angel has faced the best competition in the state on multiple occasions and he named a few players from Jack Yates team the other day that wanted Angel to transfer coming into Jr. year due to his performance in these tournaments........I'm not as well versed as some of you may be as I only follow the local HS level kids.

I will ask Gabe on Friday if Angel played in those leagues/tournaments you are speaking of.

7 hours ago, bullets13 said:

There's been a lack of exposure, but he's the real deal.  one of the most complete players i've seen in quite some time, and i don't know that i can remember a better shooter.  I hope that he finds somewhere.  I wish i had connections at my old school.  He'd do wonders for ETBU's squad, although he's deserving of a better opportunity than that.

Angel remains me of a player I played against in 96-98. (JASON TROOP LCM) 

12 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I think size may be the problem.

And please stop saying "not good enough for D1..but maybe juco or D2".  There is a TON of talent on every level of college athletics.  I'll admit there is a significant drop off most of the time..especially in terms of size and athleticism..  But coaches on those level are trying to recruit the best possible players too.  Colleges beat teams in higher classifications every year.

I can answer that. He did not. His team is not a shoe team and a lot of times you will not get the looks you may want, even though you deserve, if you don't play for them. I think the thing with Angel is probably defending D1 Point guards because that's what he'd be at the D1 level. Just ones opinion though. Angel is a special shooter though. 

3 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

Please educate me on those programs you mention in the first sentence. EYBL, UAA and Gauntlet ?

Gabe's Native Pride (AAU) team traveled the state and I don't know for how long, or types of tournaments they played in but he told me that Angel has faced the best competition in the state on multiple occasions and he named a few players from Jack Yates team the other day that wanted Angel to transfer coming into Jr. year due to his performance in these tournaments........I'm not as well versed as some of you may be as I only follow the local HS level kids.

I will ask Gabe on Friday if Angel played in those leagues/tournaments you are speaking of.

EYBL = Nike

UAA = Under Armour

Gauntlet = Adidas

Those are the so-called "shoe circuits" and you have to have a sponsorship from the companies to compete in their events for the most part.  They all have events during the open periods, and often Under Armour and Nike have theirs in close proximity (last year one weekend was Louisville and Lexington; their finals were on back to back weekends in Georgia - Atlanta and Augusta).   Therefore, this is where the majority of the schools will be watching during those periods.   At the UAA finals in Atlanta last summer, there were over 300 coaches in attendance, generally with about 8 games going on at once.   If you were playing, you had a full coaching section, regardless of the game.

i know HS coaches like their kids playing together and it does pay off for the schools.   You're just not going to get much exposure in those loops.

57 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

EYBL = Nike

UAA = Under Armour

Gauntlet = Adidas

Those are the so-called "shoe circuits" and you have to have a sponsorship from the companies to compete in their events for the most part.  They all have events during the open periods, and often Under Armour and Nike have theirs in close proximity (last year one weekend was Louisville and Lexington; their finals were on back to back weekends in Georgia - Atlanta and Augusta).   Therefore, this is where the majority of the schools will be watching during those periods.   At the UAA finals in Atlanta last summer, there were over 300 coaches in attendance, generally with about 8 games going on at once.   If you were playing, you had a full coaching section, regardless of the game.

i know HS coaches like their kids playing together and it does pay off for the schools.   You're just not going to get much exposure in those loops.

The Nederland summer league can only get a kid noticed so much ;)

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

There is a huge difference between Throop and Angel though and it rests entirely between their ears.   But Throop was one hell of a scorer.  

Ik what you getting at, but there basketball game or similar. Not flashy but both could fill it up. Throop avg 34 agame if not mistaking. I seen Throop put 63 on Waltrip in the 97-98 season at LC Barbe and his team had 78. Throop had no foundation, he lived in his own apartment his  Jr/ Sr. Year. He was a good friend of mind. 

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

That's who I thought of as well. He moved from HJ to LCM after his soph year.  He wasn't anything special physically, but he could score better than any HS kid I've seen.

Yes he could score. Throop was the real deal and his basketball IQ was off the charts

Let's clear a few things up here

1. Basketball does lift someone made a comment about lifting, during the off season they lifted 3 days a week and they are lifting 2 days a week.  Coach Foster and Maze have put some good weight on some kids.

2.  I can confirm Coach Foster has emailed and made several phone calls for Angel including yesterday he sent an email to Henderson State with film.  Like any college coach they want to see him play in person and they will but right now like every d1-jc they are in conference.  Some people forget the small schools (colleges) are on a thin budget recruiting and can't just jump in the car.  So if anyone thinks Coach Foster hasn't done anything to help you are wrong

3.  Angel grades are fine and he works hard in class so nothing wrong with grades

4. Someone will take him and I honestly don't think Angel is worried about it he and the rest of the kids are such good teammates with each other they are focus on the ultimate team goal right know and everything will work