Beaumont Ozen

LCMAlumtiger32

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

...that's been talked about amongst the community for years....  Like 'they SHOULD close Ozen down'.  But not a rumor of this actually happening...

I think Ozen should stay a school but they should be playing in 4a. I think they would have a better chance to getting in the playoffs.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:42 PM, LCM17 said:

I think Ozen should stay a school but they should be playing in 4a. I think they would have a better chance to getting in the playoffs.

Second that, Its not fair to the kids at OZEN. I know the kids will play hard regardless what classification they are in, but we have a number system for a reason and their numbers are to play in 4A not 5A

14 hours ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

So Ozen has 4A numbers but just plays up in 5A?  

The snapshot numbers for Ozen THIS realignment was released already and they are below the 5a numbers and in the 4a numbers.  

Before, Ozen was in their right class.  They were just considered a small 5a.  Now, they're really just a big 4a team...

27 minutes ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

Well if Ozen has 4A numbers then by all means they should play 4A football. I hope they do and compete well. Cant wait for Feb 1st or 2nd.. 

The whole point is that BISD is not going to let them compete with like sized schools. They are going to force them to play up a classification and therefore put them at a disadvantage on the football field.

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, it is not all that simple.  For Ozen to have moved down the 4A, BISD would have had to remove the magnet school designation that Ozen currently has as UIL rules would have kept it in 5A anyway as another district magnet school, Central, is also 5A.

Very true...  But at the same time, is Ozen still considered a magnet school?  I'm not convinced.  I believe only Central is recognized as a magnet school....

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

This is the information I pulled from the Beaumont ISD website:

This is the hidden content, please

Yes, I knew about that info from the link, but I was discussing this magnet topic to a few BISD employees and was told that the Magnet Program was not available this year for some reason...  I never checked the validity of that though.  

24 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Yes, I knew about that info from the link, but I was discussing this magnet topic to a few BISD employees and was told that the Magnet Program was not available this year for some reason...  I never checked the validity of that though.  

I'll have to cede to you on that one.

Despite not being a Panther fan, it would have been great for the school to drop for the next 2 years.  Odom middle school, the biggest middle school in Beaumont, is about a mile from Ozen and probably 90% of those kids go to West Brook because besides basketball, they feel Ozen is not going to win at anything.   BISD needs to get some things figured out...

20 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Despite not being a Panther fan, it would have been great for the school to drop for the next 2 years.  Odom middle school, the biggest middle school in Beaumont, is about a mile from Ozen and probably 90% of those kids go to West Brook because besides basketball, they feel Ozen is not going to win at anything.   BISD needs to get some things figured out...

True...  But Odom has the Pegasus program, a sort of magnet program and any kid from anywhere in Beaumont can go there.  So an Odom kid going to high school goes back to the school that they're originally zonned to, which probably isn't Ozen....

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, it is not all that simple.  For Ozen to have moved down the 4A, BISD would have had to remove the magnet school designation that Ozen currently has as UIL rules would have kept it in 5A anyway as another district magnet school, Central, is also 5A.

That is not accurate. For UIL purposes the school is only considered magnet if the entire school is magnet and there is no zoned attendance students. The rule in its entirety reads:

Conference and Dsitrict Assignment Policies and Procedures 2016-2017 and 2017-18 Realignment.

6.c.4 Multiple High School Districts with schools in more than one conference, one of which is a magnet school. A multiple high school districts with schools in more than one conference, one of which is a magnet school, shall have the magnet school placed in the same conference as the high school in that school district with the largest enrollment. A magnet school is defined as a high school within a multiple high school district where all students participate in the magnet curriculum.

If the rule was for any schools that have a magnet program, then both Ozen and Central would be forced to play in 6A because West Brooks attendance has 6A numbers. Houston ISD has multiple schools throughout 4A, 5A, and 6A that have magnet programs as well as students there because of zoning, but they are placed by overall attendance because not every student is a magnet student. Schools like Fort Worth's Young Men and Young Women academies as well as some Dallas schools that only do UIL Academics are placed in 6A because their entire school is selective with no zoning. In Fort Worth's case they then work it out with the districts and drop to 5A after realignment is announced.

In short Ozen should be 4A by rule but Beaumont ISD or some person within the district checked the box to opt up to 5A. If any school should have opted up it should have been Central to give West Brook at least one close district game.

39 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

39 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Yes, you are correct only WB has multiple sport success.  Central and Ozen for the most part Basketball, track  only.  baseball golf tennis etc... not much there.  Oh power lifting for WB -  all the schools have some football success BUT when 4/6 or 4/7 go to the playoffs each year it is easier to accept.  I don't know when either of the 3 have won a outright District Champ in football??