The Old Coach Class 4A DII Realignment Projection

Bobcatfan4life

This will probably be taken the wrong way when I say it, so at the outset I will say the following: 1) I do support a season long DI-DII split in both 6A and 5A and in fact think it is even more necessary than in the classifications where such a split currently exists yet 2) I don't like systems that water down the race for the playoff and I firmly believe that the split should be accompanied by a reduction of teams from each district from 4 to 2.  That being said, I have the following question for Cougar 14.2:

You offer the above criticism of the DI-D2 split in Class 4A, but isn't the split that caused the above situation the very split that you are advocating for Class 5A?

41 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

This will probably be taken the wrong way when I say it, so at the outset I will say the following: 1) I do support a season long DI-DII split in both 6A and 5A and in fact think it is even more necessary than in the classifications where such a split currently exists yet 2) I don't like systems that water down the race for the playoff and I firmly believe that the split should be accompanied by a reduction of teams from each district from 4 to 2.  That being said, I have the following question for Cougar 14.2:

You offer the above criticism of the DI-D2 split in Class 4A, but isn't the split that caused the above situation the very split that you are advocating for Class 5A?

A realistic 5A split would probably put about 130 schools in each class and have a difference of 600 students. This year in the 5A-D2 playoffs Crosby could have literally added WOS' enrollment and players and still had about 100 less kids than RP.  

If you split 5A still only about 50% of teams would make the playoffs, technically 50% of the teams in 4A-D2 can make the playoffs with a 1-9 record. In 5A and 6A you're getting top 10 matchups in bi-district sometimes. Yes, a split would water down the 5A and 6A product some but if you're going to do the lower classes a solid then it needs to be done across the board, which is my argument.  

33 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yes, a split would water down the 5A and 6A product some but if you're going to do the lower classes a solid then it needs to be done across the board, which is my argument.  

No argument there.  I can recall that the DI-DII idea was intended SOLELY for 6A (what was then 5A).  For the UIL to go away from this and now use the idea more rigidly in lower classifications than in the Class for which it was initially intended reveals the true intentions of the UIL....15.

8 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I have always felt the exact same way about 4 teams making the playoffs, until WOS baseball came in 3rd in their district last year and finished as the State runner-up.