Baltimore in deep ish

Mr. Buddy Garrity

• 11 months later...
On 5/8/2015 at 8:56 AM, tvc184 said:

..........Maybe just like Trayvon Martin, just like Michael Brown and just like Eric Garner, when you start looking into the actual facts, the claims start unraveling. Will the same happen here? We don't know yet but some scholarly legal opinions such as from Alan Dershowitz say that some or most of the charges are bogus. 

Let's see, Trayvon Martin. I said there was no case and there wasn't. The DA knew it but the state sent in a hitman (woman) to indict Zimmerman without going to a grand jury.. something that would not be legal in Texas. After the verdict, the juror that spoke to the media said something like, "We all really wanted to convict him but there was no evidence". She basically said that she wanted him to be guilty when it all started (kind of makes you go hmmm, on an "impartial" juror) but could find no legal grounds once the "evidence" was produced.... which was none.

The governor of Missouri came out almost immediately can called for the indictment of Darren Wilson with absolutely no facts after Michael Brown was killed. The DA (yet again) said not only was there was no evidence to support an indictment but in fact said that Wilson was justified. Then the entire weight of the federal government through the US Justice Department and the FBI came in and spent who knows how much money... to find the same thing that the little DA found, no evidence.

Eric Garner fights the police and dies not of the injuries caused by officers but of his own weight and health problems. Of course that is not good enough and people want officers to be indicted and convicted based solely on their profession. 

Here we go with Baltimore. Out of all these cases, this one is the most strange. I can "maybe" see the driver being guilty of something but even that is a stretch. The other five are nothing but illegal sacrificial lambs. This is a guilty by association case. Officers spotted Gray in a crime and he ran. He was chased and taken into custody. I have seen absolutely nothing to do with the chase that is even claimed to be close to causing Gray's death. After he is taken into custody and after he is put in a transport vehicle, something happened. Except for the driver there were no other officers responsible for him at that point.

It would be like me making an arrest and bring a guy to the county jail. After he gets there and long after I leave the premises, he dies of something that happened in the jail but I am held responsible for it as I did nothing wrong even if you don't agree with the arrest. I was not there when it happened and did nothing that is linked to a death.... then they wanting to hold me responsible for bringing him in. Huh? It would be like anyone reading this forum selling gasoline to someone at a service station and the guy goes down the road, runs a stop sign and kills someone.... then charge you for selling him the gas. After all, if he had run out of gas, he couldn't have run the stop sign. 

That is the same rationale used in the Freddie Gray case. 

This officer was very wise to refuse a jury trial where emotion might drive the verdict instead of facts. Those facts being, this officer had nothing to do with the death at all and was nowhere around whatever happened. This was not justice. Justice would have been no indictment to begin with.