So what have you killed this year?

bullets13

I had a shot at a spike tonight, but he was forked on one side and the other side appeared broken off. While texting the game warden at the park to ask if I could take the deer, I looked up and there were two does at 15 yards staring at me. Needless to say I did not get a shot at ANY of the deer. But it was encouraging that I saw some at least.

• 1 month later...

Called in a 8pt on Nov 13th and shot it really fun hunt.   Daughter who never hunted before killed her first deer ( a spike) while I was gone to get the truck. Nov 28th .  As soon as I left 3 deer came out... 2 made it back to cover one took a dirt nap... Craziest thing had my two 20 sumtin daughters in the stand with me day after thanksgiving.. sat from 6am to 10am... left to get the truck and when I returned they bound out the stand saying, "we got one !!!!!!!"  Yeah Right.... then the youngest handed me my binoculars and there it was dead as a door knob. Prince family had a good year!

Sad thing is we only took 3 deer off our 1100 acre lease.  I say sad cause 9 members did not even get an opportunity.  Just very very low deer sightings. I hunted many days many stands..... extreme caution to wind and scent and only saw 3 deer all season long... my brother in law has not seen a deer in 3 seasons.. now he only makes 3 or 4 hunts per year.  but is this typical for east texas and if so why ?  And will killing fewer deer as Campbell timber has prescribed increase deer sightings over time. Since enacting the 13inch rule ( Which I like) 2 or 3 deer killed on our lease has been the rule not the exception but deer sightings have not increased! The good news is I am usually one of those two or three members each year.

DEER

Lots of rain and green grass but still saw plenty deer corning.  Took a Doe opening weekend of bow season. Shot 2 more doe in November.  Then finally took a 5.5 yr old 8 out of the gene pool late December.  3 Hogs by bow also a Javelina.  Have 4 good bucks pushing over 140 that we let walk on our 2nd year lease.  Potential is there just got to stay focus and get our buck average age up plus bring the doe population down to a 1:1 ratio.

DUCKS

Teal season was lights out like always.  Didn't really hunt that much this year but when I did 1st split of regular duck season was good with bags of Pintail, teal, spoonies, and occasional greenheads.  2nd split slowed, most of the birds in the marsh by then and I hunt mostly rice fields

GEESE

Haven't shot the first one.  Had opportunities but got greedy trying to let them make that last circle.  Expect to put some on the ground come February